Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Jackie and the Girl's

For years now I have wanted to have chickens. I wanted them to fertilize my garden, eat the bugs, and lay some eggs. My mother in law's neighbor had a chicken tractor which is a portable coop. This was just the seed that needed to be planted to let me get chickens. Eric and my dad built the tractor and I got 6 chicks for my birthday. Here they are:

The chicken tractor. 

Jackie Chan- The one rooster in the bunch. He will be going to Wyoming some time this week because we can't have roosters. He has a crooked beak and is a little special. (Silver Laced Wyandotte)
Q-tip/Beakers- She likes to day dream and is always losing her friends. I think it might be the afro.  (Silky Bantam) 
Pockets- She is like a little Bull. She may be little but she is really tough.  (Silver Laced Cochin Bantam)
Red- She is the alpha-female. She is always chasing neighborhood cats and protecting the flock.  (Rhode Island Red) 
Buffy- She is a sweetheart. She loves to be held, pet and she loves to follow me around. If you are ever thinking of getting chickens, Buffs are perfect. (Buff Orpington) 
Hoots- Great hunter. She is best friends with Q-tip and she is smart.  She is an Easter Egg Chicken. (Americana) 

1 comment:

Manda said...

Cute! I love your cochin. I want to add one to our flock, but I haven't decided what kind yet. ;) I agree, Buff Orps are the best. Ours is sitting on 4 eggs right now, due to hatch on Wednesday! It's so fun to see your girls! How old are they? How much longer til you get eggs?