Saturday, March 8, 2008

Quackers the duck




This is funny. Why my job is so great. On Saturday, I did a program called Nature Detectives. I teach children from ages 3-5 years old about animals that live in the salt marsh. I was really excited because I got to use a real duck for this program, as opposed to the stuffed ducks that we have on display. I picked up the duck from Sulfer Creek and they told me that Quackers poops alot so I needed to put a diaper on her. No questions asked, it didn't seem hard to put a diaper on a duck. So I brought Quackers to the shoreline and got her ready for the program. I started teaching the kids about ducks and then I told them I had a suprise and I pulled out Quackers. The kids were super excited. I tried putting the diaper on, but I couldn't because I was holding her with one hand while her legs were running (and one wing flapping) all over the place. Try putting a diaper on a duck with one hand - It is not that easy. So I didn't worry about putting the diaper on. She pooped on the ground a few times missing me by inches. Not a big deal. But then I decided to put her in a duck play pen so the kids could feed her and watch her walk. That went really well. We then stopped feeding quackers worms but she wanted more food so she flew out of the pin. Hitting a kid in the head with her wings and making several kids cry. None of the kids wanted to see her anymore and they wouldn't get near her. During this whole time Quackers is just quacking and walking around like nothing happened. I didn't know what to say to the parents so I picked up quackers and put her away and said lets go hiking. I was thinking afterwards that I probably scarred them for life with the duck incident. Oh well, that's why we have counselors, right?

12 comments:

The Rogers said...

IM still cracking up over this :)

Missy said...

Tagen! That is too funny! I laughed as I pictured you trying to DIAPER a duck going crazy! and the kid getting hit in the head, LOL!

lindsey v said...

I had no idea ducks had diapers! I can't even picture it. That is so funny!

Mike-Jami-Bridger-Foster said...

lol.. I love it. That is so funny! Remember when we had to put a diaper on Gracie?
Jami

Cami said...

That's awesome Tagen!! That is too funny! I'm sure the kids will all be fine, just a little afraid of ducks for a little bit :)

Amanda Hardman said...

That's so funny! I wish I could have been there for that one!
Hey...question...we never told/asked you...did you know we left the wind chime for you? I can't handle wind chimes anymore! Enjoy!

Jessie Jo said...

That is hilarious! I love it!!

Anonymous said...

Tag, you always have stories that crack me up! love it! Can't wait to hear more.. thanks for the laugh! :)

Sarah said...

That's hilarious! HA! I found you through someone else's blog....I didn't even know you guys had one. I love ducks, I wish I could have seen it

Millertime said...

Yeah!! I found your blog. How are you guys doing? We sure miss you guys. I need your e-mail address so I can send you a link to our blog. I hope you guys are doing great. I am so glad you are enjoying your job. Its sounds like you have a great time everyday!!

Cami said...

Hey Tagen! If memory serves me correctly today is your b-day, so Happy Birthday! If I'm wrong sorry, but I think it is so have a great day!

Craig and Janalyn said...

Tagen! I got your blog from Cami's blog.. I haven't seen you in YEARS! It sounds like you are doing awesome! Your duck made me laugh so hard, you are too cute! here's my blog addy if you want it. jljoneszone.blogspot.com. Take care!!!