Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Greece

Over spring break Eric and I went on a cruise to Greece. We were flying standby so we had to fly to Budapest. Then from Budapest we took a train to Slovakia. We stayed in Slovakia and hung with our friends the Nemcokovci. Miso then drove us to Austria (An hour drive from Bratislava). We caught a flight in Vienna and then finally made it to Greece.


What am I thinking? (Budapest, Hungary)


We were only in Budapest for a few hours. We walked in the rain all over town just to see the sights.

Day 1
We were suddenly awakened military style on the ship. We had to put on a life vest and go out on deck as mock drill.


Kiato, Greece

We landed in Kiato. We decided to venture out of town and not pay for the tour. We got lost in town and finally found the bus station. We made it to Corinth. Corinth is the same place that Paul went and the people did not listen to him. The people have not changed they were not very nice, so we shopped around town and left. We were so tired that we decided to put our feet in the water. It was cold but it felt nice.


Day 2 (Tagen's 28th Birthday)


We landed in Vathy, Ithaki. What a beautiful place to be for my birthday. This Island was home to olive trees and lots of goats and sheep.



We got lost on this very small island and found the cutest little town. We ate some fabulous food and had a great time.



We then found the road we needed to be on and hiked about 6 miles to a fountain that was used by sailors back in the day. The view at the top of this island was amazing. At the top we felt like we were the only people up there.



Day 3 (Olympia)
We landed in Patras and took a bus to Olympia. This is the home of the Olympics. The Olympics were done here for over a 1,000 years and were dedicated to Zeus.



This is where they light the Olympic torch. Not much but they light the torch here every 2 years. We just missed them lighting the torch by two days.


This is the entrance to the Olympic stadium.


Eric was so super excited about this place that he wore his Olympic shirt. He wanted a picture of him running on the track with his Slovak Olympic team shirt.


We got in a lot of trouble for this picture. If you notice we are standing on a 1,000 year old artifact. We had no idea that we would get into trouble until some lady started blowing a whistle at us. Oh well at least we got a good picture.


Wow, what a really cool place. I am so glad I had the chance to go to the birth place of the Olympics. The trees were blossoming and the wild flowers were out, here is a great picture of the wildflowers.


After our tour of the Olympic stadium. Eric and I wanted to check out the town our ship was ported at. So we hiked these really steep stairs and saw this great view.


Day 4 Itea (for Delphi)


This place by far was Eric and I's favorite place in Greece. It had the most amazing view. It was high in the mountains with a view down into the valley filled with olive trees. It just rained so it smelled wonderful.

Ampatheater with a view. How would you like to watch a concert here?


Doing the running man at the stadium.


Day 5

We woke up really early because we were going through the Corinth Canal. Most cruise ships are too big to go through, but we were lucky enough because our ship was small.


Aegina Island
When we got to this island it was non stop raining. I guess it only rains for about a week out of the year in Greece and we got the rainy week. Today, was a cold day but we had fun exploring the island and finding more ancient temples.


Day 6 and 7 (Athens)


The weather was perfect for us in Athens. Eric wanted to wait to go to the Parthenon to avoid crowds. It turned out to be free when we went because the Olympic torch was going through.


19 comments:

sinika said...

So cool guys! I love the pictures- I'm so glad you shared them with us! I love the ampitheater one. Hope you get over your jet lag soon......it's always good to come home though huh?

lindsey v said...

That trip looked like it was so much fun. I'm glad you guys had such a good time. You are such world travelers! I saw on the news the torch lighting ceremony, that's cool that you guys were there around the same time.

Melissa Savage said...

Hey guys! We found your blog through the Scoresby's, didn't know you had one. If you're interested, you can add ours, savagefamilyupdates.blogspot.com. What a great trip, we're jealous! Sounds like you had a blast! We love traveling too, I'll have to put Greece on our list of places to see!

The Rogers said...

Wow you got some great pics! I loved reading about yout trip, gald you had such a good time. O and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Mike-Jami-Bridger-Foster said...

Tag, Your pics are soooo beautiful! I'm so glad you and Eric were able to go somewhere like that together. My favorite pic was the one with you guys and your life jackets! I laughed sooo hard. The views were amazing! I can't wait to see more pics.

Sarah said...

Wow! That looks so cool. And you KNOW it's cool when the pictures are cool (because pictures never capture everything, but still, this looks cool). So jealous! HAPPY late BIRTHDAY TAGEN!!!

Millertime said...

How exciting, I am so glad you guys had a fun time. Your pictures are beautiful. I am sure they don't even compare to real life. What a fun trip. You guys a quite the world travelers.

Missy said...

I love the pictures! I know you guys had a great time, I am jealous! What an experience. We are glad you are back!

Anonymous said...

Tag!! The trip looks awesome!! And how cool is it that you were able to go over your bday?!! Hope you had a good one! Glad you guys had a fun trip!

Ambler Fam said...

That is so cool! One day it would be nice to travel!

Kathryn said...

Awww! I am sooo jealous! I love to travel, and being spontaneous is so fun. I'm glad you got to enjoy such a fabulous trip.

Craig and Janalyn said...

Tago! What a fun cruise! What amazing places you got to visit! I think it is awesome that you guys travel so much. Way cute pictures, and I loved reading about your adventures~!!

Jessie Jo said...

I'm glad you guys had a great spring break, you both really deserve it!

Jody said...

Ok I am jealous. I have never been out of the country unless you count just over the mexican border. What great pictures. Looks like you have an awesome time.

Amanda Hardman said...

What a fun spring break! You guys are so adventurous! I love it!! Oh, by the way, Happy Birthday!

Parker Family said...

Im so happy you two had a great trip. Im still not sure how you got first class there and back. So excited to see you two this weekend. love mom and dad

Cami said...

Looks like a way fun trip! Your pictures are great! I especially like the first picture of day 1, brings me back to so many memories of the Tagen I know and love :)

The Capson's said...

Tagen, This is Kristen Harris (Capson) I found your blog link on Jamie's blog. I hope you are doing well. You guys have done some amazing trips is looks like. Greece would be amazing. That is my dream to go there someday. you look beautiful as always. Happy Birthday as well. Talk to you soon, Kristen

Jessica said...

What an awesome experience! You guys keep traveling and will get all our travels in vicariously!