Sunday, May 16, 2010

Surprised Looks

I helped Tagen out with a scavenger hunt that she designed for the church youth and it was surprising to see the response from strangers when these kids asked if they could help them. The response was not what we would've had a few decades ago. Back in the mid 1900s, it was only expected to send your kids over to help someone out, like help someone load their groceries into their car. Some people looked at us in surprise before agreeing and others flat out told us "No." I guess if someone is a little too enthusiastic in wanting to help, then they think that there is a catch, which is too bad. These kids split up into 7 groups of 3 and out they went to do some good, very quickly because they had several things to cross off on their lists. They had to change a baby's diaper, read a story to a child, put a baby to bed, sing a song for someone, help someone load groceries into their car, wash someone's windshield, vacuum someone's floor, paint someone's toenails, clean someone's kitchen counter-tops, take the trash out for someone, etc... you get the picture, and they could only do two things per location, they had to get a signature from the recipient, and take a picture for proof:
Here you can get an idea of just how speedy these kids were :)

Helping put someone's baby to bed.

Speaking of speedy, here is a quick application of service on this lucky recipient.

You can just see the look of satisfaction on his face for painting his toenails. (Amy - how could you do that to your dad?) :)

So if you ever have someone knocking at your door or running towards you to help you, not everyone wants to sell you girl scout cookies, just let them help you. The kids reported having a lot of fun and didn't expect anything in return. We think that's just how service should be.

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

haha that is awesome! Our youth in SL did that once... they made our bed. Which was embarrassing because my bedroom had dirty underwear on the floor! But Jon let them do it. He didn't care!

The Rogers said...

That is awesome! I love being with the youth cause you get to do this funny/crazy/embarrassing/belly laughing type of stuff with them.

Awesome idea I think I might steal it too :)

Miss and love you guys :)

Tagen and Eric said...

I found the idea from sugardoodle.net. I love that website. I changed it to fit our kidos.

Manda said...

Update! Update! Update!
(:
After you get back from your trip....I guess.